Thursday, October 2, 2014

Making homemade applesauce

Last weekend we all got in the car and headed to a local farm to go apple picking. We had a great time and we got about 20 apples so today I decided to make applesauce. 
First I washed the apples

Then I took the skin off of them. I peeled about 15 of them and cut them up into wedges cutting around the core of the apple. Then I put them into a big pot on the stove.

Then I turned the stove on medium heat and added one cup of apple juice. I wish I had cider but it might not have made a difference.

Then I added:
one teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Freshly grated nutmeg
A pinch of allspice
And 1/2 cup of brown sugar to give it that beautiful brown color.
I mixed it a little and then put the top on. 
I let it sit for a good 20 min while the kiddos and I started decorating the house for Halloween then checked on it and it looked like mush. Perfect. Turn the stove off.

I let it cool for another half hour or so then got my mini food processor and started making small batches of applesauce. I added about a 1/4 cup of apple juice to get the right consistency and it was done!! Best applesauce I've ever had hands down!

And....

This will last us for maybe a week if we are lucky!!

Have fun making your own now! 

My sick baby loving her applesauce







No comments:

Post a Comment